Leaked emails show Obama administration knew truth about Libya attacks
President stays mum on his Benghazi failure.
Obama is pleading the fifth when asked about when he learned of three emails sent by the State Department to him on September 11, 2012, informing him that the US Consulate in Benghazi was under attack and that a terrorist group was claiming responsibility for the attack.
terrorists photographed celebrating the success of their attack on the US Consulate in benghazi on September 11, 2012.
"We decline to comment," said White House National Security staff aide Debbie Bird.
The emails are important because they suggest the White House knew of the true nature of the attacks from the start, yet inexplicably spent the next three weeks telling the public they were spontaneous protests that turned violent.
The White House has suggested they were overwhelmed with information following the attacks. Jay Carney told reporters this morning, ""There were emails about all sorts of information that was becoming available in the aftermath of the attack. The email you're referring to was an open-source, unclassified email referring to an assertion made on a social media site that everyone in this room had access to and knew about instantaneously. There was a variety of information coming in."
"The whole point of an intelligence community and what they do is to assess strands of information and make judgments about what happened and who was responsible," Carney added. "I would refer you to what we've already said about, and what the DNI has already said about, the initial assessments of the intelligence community, and the fact that throughout this process, I and others made very clear that our preliminary assessments were preliminary, that an investigation was underway, and that as more facts became available, we would make the American people aware of them."
Carney insisted, "This was an open-source, unclassified email about a posting on a Facebook site. I would also note I think that within a few hours, that organization itself claimed that it had not been responsible. Neither should be taken as fact. That's why there's an investigation underway."
The emails were sent by the State Department to several government officials including members of the President's staff, so there's no reason why he should have been unaware of them.
Ultimately, if the President and his staff cannot assess a dynamic situation and respond appropriately, even after two to three weeks following, then questions must be raised about the competency and functionality of the current administration.
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Obama, embassy, Stevens, ambassador, terror, attacks, hearings
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- The New Golden Calf and the Women of a New Babylon. America and Kardashian - Where's the outrage?
- FBI admits to using drones on U.S. soil. What's next armed drones?
- Supreme Court: No, you can't ask for proof of citizenship for voter registration
- What happens when the Culture of Surveillance meets the Culture of Corruption?
- Obama tells Charlie Rose Americans are uninformed on NSA program. So why doesn't he inform us?
- Bombshell: Low-level NSA agents can wiretap anyone, even the president, sans warrant
- PRISM precursor programs sparked concerns, potential resignations under Bush
- Facebook, Microsoft reveal number of government requests for your info, but no details
- Whistle-blower Snowden says Obama can still save face after PRISM debacle
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?