Senator calls upon Eric Holder to resign over 'Fast and Furious'
Sen. John Cornyn says attorney general has 'violated the public trust'
Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) took Attorney General Eric Holder to task
at a dramatic Senate hearing, calling for the nation's top law
enforcement official to resign. Saying Holder should resign on account
of the botched Operation Fast and Furious, Cornyn also pointed out the
Justice Department's slow response to a congressional subpoena for Fast
and Furious documents, in addition to Holder's handling of alleged
intelligence leaks within the Justice Department.
Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) accused Holder was "using the Department of Justice as the political arm of the Obama campaign" and blasted Holder's opposition to state voter ID laws as "ridiculous."
Holder interrupted Cornyn's denunciations, Cornyn accused him of "filibustering" the hearing. Holder maintains that it was Cornyn, and not himself who was spreading falsehoods. Holder said that Cornyn's statement was "almost breathtaking in its inaccuracy."
"With all due respect, senator, there is so much that is factually wrong with the premises that you started your statement with," Holder told Cornyn.
Cornyn was just one of many Republicans at the hearing who criticized Holder's handling of Fast and Furious. Said operation was the one in which Phoenix-based ATF agents used watch-and-wait tactics on cartel-linked gunrunners -- but then lost track of over 2,000 weapons that slipped into Mexico.
Two of those weapons were later recovered in December of 2010 in Arizona at the murder site of Border Patrol agent Brian Terry.
As to why he has not relinquished all documents requested by Congress, Holder responded that "this is the ninth time I have answered questions before a congressional committee about Fast and Furious."
Cornyn continued his tirade in a speech on the Senate floor five hours later.
"I believe the American people deserve a chief law enforcement officer who will be independent of political influence, accountable to the law, and transparent with his dealings to the Congress," Cornyn declared. "Unfortunately, Eric Holder has failed on all of these counts."
Cornyn accused Holder was "using the Department of Justice as the political arm of the Obama campaign" and blasted Holder's opposition to state voter ID laws as "ridiculous."
"Voter ID laws present no impediment to participation in voting," he said. "American people are accustomed to presenting photo ID. Every time you get on an airplane or buy a pack of cigarettes or a beer, you have to produce a photo ID. But Mr. Holder has been so outrageous as to compare these voter ID laws to Jim Crow poll taxes. This charge is defamatory and an insult to the people of my state and anyone with common sense."
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Politics & Policy News
- Human Dignity and Culture: Time for 'Radical' Christian Action
- Fiercely democratic Oregon only signs up 44 people for Obamacare
- Colin Powell, Republican, comes out in favor of single-payer healthcare system
- Obamacare is a success! But not the kind you'll want to celebrate
- New 'Obamacare' health plans may exclude major hospitals
- Marriage Liberation Movement: Global Defense of Marriage in France, China and Around the World
- Principles are expensive: Republican governors missing out on billions in Medicaid funds
- Rush Limbaugh is Wrong, Karen Finney of MSNBC is Nuts: Pope Francis and Capitalism
- NSA REVELATIONS: Ways that would have been previously unimaginable
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?