Black conservatives: Chick-fil-A controversy is an example of liberal intolerance
'Being against gay marriage is not being anti-gay,' Project 21 says
The African-American conservative group Project 21 has something to say bout the
recent flap over the Chick-fil-A controversy. Their message to liberals
and big city mayors who wish to banish the fast-food restaurant chain
due to their stand on traditional marriage simply states that they
themselves are being intolerant.
Chick-fil-A has garnered widespread support for their opposition to gay marriage. Here, an employee offers free water to customers standing in line out in the hot sun.
Minor reiterates that the chain doesn't discriminate against anybody -- and it's incorrect to say they do.
"The last time I checked, Chick-fil-A wasn't expressing a desire for gays not to eat at their restaurants or seek employment with them," Minor said. Chick-fil-A simply supports traditional marriage.
Project 21's Derryk Green said it is leftists and homosexual activists have attempted to equate that opposition to "gay marriage" is somehow a form of bigotry.
"Chick-fil-A executives and others who share a 'traditional' or religious understanding of marriage are unfairly characterized as hateful because the idea of being against a redefinition of marriage has been deceitfully conflated with being against homosexuals," Green said.
"This is simply untrue and a projection of bigotry onto folks who don't deserve it," Green said.
Furthermore, Project 21's Stacy Washington says that if anyone is being bigoted, it's the liberals who want to boycott Chick-Fil-A.
"While screaming for tolerance, the left displays the ultimate example of intolerance by calling for boycotts and other acts meant to hurt Chick-fil-A's ability to do business," Washington said. "This includes liberal mayors and city councilmen willing to declare their cities off limits to Chick-fil-A franchises.
"Whether one agrees or disagrees with Chick-fil-A's corporate philosophy is a personal matter. Refusing to permit a business to operate is another quite un-American matter altogether."
Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy, made comments to Baptist Press in support of defining marriage as only between a man and a woman.
"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about."
The Chick-fil-A restaurant chain has been targeted by calls for a boycott of its restaurants by the homosexual lobby, liberal celebrities, leftist activists and big city mayors, including Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Chick-fil-A, boycott, Project 21, gay marriage, marriage equality
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Living Faith News
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- Receiving the Eucharist: I Have Decided to Kneel For Jesus
- Exorcism or not, it's still a miracle
- The Holy Spirit: Sanctifier and Giver of Life, Love and Truth
- Pope Francis tweets his prayers following devastation in Moore
- The Paraclete: The Counselor Who Helps Us Fulfill Our Calling
- Pope Francis calls for change within the Church
- Atheists to have their books placed atop Gideon Bibles
- Killer whale with missing fins cared for by its pod family
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?