Katie Holmes flees Scientology and her husband Tom Cruise. Registers at Catholic parish
Church of St. Francis Xavier excited to welcome Holmes to fold
Fleeing her marriage with movie star Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes has relocated to New York City - and rejecting Cruise's Scientology, has registered with the Church of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church.
Fleeing her marriage with movie star Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes has relocated to New York City - and rejecting Cruise's Scientology, she has registered with St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church.
"She has not yet attended a service, but when she does she will be welcomed with open arms.'
The Church of St. Francis Xavier, which dates back to 1847, "strives to be a prophetic, welcoming community, inclusive witness to the presence of Christ Jesus in our midst," according to its mission statement.
Holmes' decision to register with the church is seen as a way of distancing herself from Scientology.
Holmes is believed to have sole custody of the six-year-old daughter she had with Cruise, Suri. It's believed that the girl will now be raised in her mother's faith.
Katie is reportedly so adamant that Suri won't have anything to do with Scientology that she insisted on an "ironclad" clause in her divorce settlement from Tom to prevent her daughter from even attending parties, if they have any link to Scientology.
Suri is also forbidden to attend any of the organization's churches or centers. The settlement allegedly stipulates that Suri isn't permitted to be exposed to anything Scientology-related, and this includes going to any Scientology churches, parties, etc.
Tom is reportedly "still reeling" from Katie's decision to leave him. It is reported in some sources he was surprised by the clandestine way in which she approached the split.
Katie ensured that every aspect of her decision to leave was kept a secret from Cruise by using disposable mobile phones, and moving into a new apartment in New York in order to guarantee that Tom would not have an opportunity to stop the process.
"She knew she had to have everything locked down before she pulled the trigger, because there could be no wiggle room if she didn't want this to turn into a long, drawn-out battle," an unidentified source told People magazine.
"Tom was a happy man and thought he had a happy life. He keeps asking, 'What's happening?'"
© 2012, Catholic Online. Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Katie Holmes, Tom Cruise, Scientology, divorce, settlement
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Celebrity News
- Has Justin Bieber's 'bad boy' stance gone too far? Pot smelled on tour bus
- Comedian Jonathan Winters dies at 87
- Mouseketeer Annette Funicello dies from multiple sclerosis
- Actor who played Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon, Richard Griffiths dies
- Porno star who embraced Christianity later in life dies
- 'One Day at a Time' actress Bonnie Franklin dies
- Cowboy actor Dale Robertson dies at the age of 89
- Popular British romance novelist 'Jessica Blair' proven to be an 89-year-old man
- Conrad Bain of TV's 'Diff''rent Strokes' dies at 89
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?